Deliberate Practice: What It Is and Why You Need It
"My advice? Even if you are learning from DVDs and lessons on the web, get a teacher. It's so important to have somebody who can recognize your mistakes right off the bat-they can correct a lot of bad habits immediately." Pete Huttlinger
"Most recently, it has become clear that musical training facilitates the rehabilitation of patients recovering from stroke and other forms of brain injury, and some researchers now argue that it might also boost speech processing and learning in children with dyslexia and other language impairments."
"Action is the foundational key to success." Pablo Picasso
“My discovery was the result of intuition and music was the driving force behind that intuition. My discovery was the result of musical perception.” Albert Einstein on his Theory of Relativity
"Failing to remember is the primary reason for most performers' poor practicing habits." Howard Snell, The Art of Practice
"As you learn a new piece, remember how important it is to learn it accurately from the beginning." Eloise Ristad
"Practicing is endless, goals set limits." Harvey Snitkin, Practice Planner
11 STRETCHING EXERCISES FOR MUSICIANS
- Choose a consistent time to practice and STICK TO IT!
- Choose a quiet space and organize it for your practice
- Remove distractions from your practice time
- Focused attention produces results
- Use a metronome
- Set goals and let the goals drive your practice time
- Make sure you are not practicing mistakes.
- Isolate those spots where you have trouble and play them correctly at a slow tempo
- Do not noodle away your practice time. Schedule time to noodle somewhere else.